This week has been a full-on mixed bag of really good (walking to work! I love it so much!) and really bad (coming home to find that my landlord had not only ENTERED MY APARTMENT without telling me, but left the front door wide open after he was done – yikes!). I’m a little frazzled by it all, but hey, it’s Friday and I’ve got a weekend to look forward to. So I’m going to leave the bad stuff behind and talk about the good stuff instead.
Five things making me happy this week:
- I’m getting my hair cut tomorrow. Finally. You have no idea how overdue I am for this. Really, until tomorrow I should not be allowed out in public, it’s that bad.
- Crocheting. Starting it up again this weekend. I’m hoping to make it to the Fairview Knitters on Saturday, if my haircut doesn’t run too late. Then on Sunday, Crochet 101 at the Little Knittery. I’ve been crocheting since I was like five years old, but I’m really not very good at it. I want to get better, and I want to make little lacy things.
- Exene Cervenka reading poetry at the Craft and Folk Art Museum on Sunday. Exene has been my hero since I was a teenage punkette, and many many years ago she used to do readings pretty often, but it’s been a very long time. I’m so excited that she’s doing this again.
- I discovered the CD Lady Day and Prez this week, and it is so so great. Billie Holiday’s story is pretty well known, but I never knew much about Lester Young before other than that I liked him. Like Billie, he had a rather tragic life and death. So much great music came out of that time, but sometimes it’s hard to ignore the undercurrent of racism that was always there. So I guess this makes me both happy and sad at the same time, but regardless, it’s beautiful.
- Charm magazine from the 1940s. I learned about it from Sarai’s blog and within days, snapped up three issues from eBay for a bargain price. This is so much fun to look at and so full of fashion inspiration that it makes me want to dust off my sewing machine and make dresses!
What about you – what is making you happy this week?
~ ~ ~
Oh and – take a look at the pretty bracelet giveaway over at Grosgrain. Winning that would certainly make me happy!